Monday, December 6, 2010

Life: Rehabilitation

For months, I have been going through a major case of Writer's Block. I hadn't really come across anything I had felt strongly enough about to actually share my opinion or thoughts on. I was talking with a friend today about Greek life, our personal experiences, what he's been doing to assist his own organization at a different school. Of course, there are always stereotypes put on Greek organizations, and no matter how hard you try, you will probably not overcome them. A common stereotype is that we're all alcoholics. I can attest to the fact this is not true, but when one goes into rehab, we all do, right?

Although a tad off-topic, it got me thinking. Rehabilitation does not have to directly involve alcohol or drugs (although, most commonly does), but really, anything that we have to overcome.


re·ha·bil·i·tate
–verb (used with object)
1. to restore to a condition of good health, ability to work, or the like.
2. to restore to good condition, operation, or management, as a bankrupt business.

Think about how many times in your life you have experienced a hardship. There are probably too many to count, right? Whether it is the loss of a job, the loss of a loved one, a difficult break up, or even a fight with your best friend. Maybe it is something as simple as losing a special piece of jewelry. There are obviously emotions attached to any one of those scenarios, therefore, when something goes awry, you are hurt, lost, confused, angry, annoyed, aggravated, or any other negative emotion that comes with disappointment. At that point, what do you do?

I don't know about you, but I go into "survival mode." Of course, there are varying levels of said mode, but all in all, it is all the same. I go through any means to restore myself to good condition or operation. Don't you think we all go through rehabilitation of some sort at some point in our lives?

The process by which we attempt to return ourselves to homeostasis varies; personally, I write or blog. It just helps me get out everything in a semi-organized form so I can better assess a situation-- my own little version of rehab. I know people who cry and throw things. I'm not sure how Dr. Phil would like that, but if it works for them, then who am I to judge? It does not matter what we do to become ourselves again, but rather how we do it.

Anyway, that is my revelation for the day. Do not ever judge someone on their lot in life because you never know what someone might be going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment