Monday, January 3, 2011

We're Small

How significant are you?

Is this a question you can answer?

Think about it. In the grand scheme of things, do we really matter? And if we do, to whom do we matter?

Many of us will have different answers. We matter to our parents, our friends, our significant others, our pets, our family... but where does that get you? When you die, will the fact that your mother loved you have any bearing on what happens to you?

Probably not.

On the other hand, to whom do we not matter? We probably don't matter to our mailman, the neighbor downstairs, the person you pass on the street, the lady you're sitting next to in Starbucks, or the guy you're honking at while sitting in your car.

To be quite honest, there are probably far more people that don't care about you than the number of people that do.

That's a very humbling thought. In my feeble and adolescent opinion, I thought I was doing well to have the small number of people in my life that actually give a crap about what I do on a daily basis. But the truth is that sum of those people, however small or large the amount, can never measure up to a far greater entity whose arms are always open for us.

There will definitely be more on this subject later, but for now, I ask one thing: pray. Pray that I will finally make it over the wall. I know that may not make any sense to you, but Someone knows what you mean.

And that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment