Tuesday, July 13, 2010

De-Sensitizing the Nation, One Naked Butt at a Time

I will start this entry off by saying one thing: don't go see Sex in the City 2. It's not worth the time wasted or the $7.75 you'll pay for the ticket.


With that being said, in comparison to the first Sex and the City, the naked scenes were severely lacking in this sequel. Now, I do not particularly care to see the naked scenes (all in all, they make me a tad uncomfortable), but with a book/TV series/movie that is known to push the proverbial envelope, I was disappointed to see that they really toned it down in this movie.


There were a few naked butts, but that's about it.


Which brings me to my point. I was talking with a friend of mine about the minimal nudity in the movie, and we started discussing how completely de-sensitized we've become as a whole that sight of naked butts don't even affect us anymore. This got me really thinking about how the general audience has changed, considering one particular theme in this movie.


Carrie and Big are laying in bed watching an old black and white movie. In this movie, there is a lady who is trying to catch a ride or a cab or some sort of motor transportation, and she lifts her long skirt to show her leg. This, of course, catches the attention of an oncoming driver. Now, in the time of black and whites, this action was considered taboo.


But now, would we even blink an eye? I've done that (in jest, mind you), but I thought nothing of it. It's sad, to be honest.


I'm an old romantic at heart, and I would have given anything to live in the time of black and white movies and chivalry and men who would retire to the sitting room to have a cigar and brandy after dinner. So why do we let ourselves play into the expected roles of our time?


I'm fairly certain it is because of things like this that our moral character has completely gone down the crapper. If we can't even see a naked butt and get a little squirmy, how are we supposed to uphold any sort of moral obligation for ourselves? Those of us who still try to keep a modicum of decency and allure are in the minority, and in a lot of cases, we're thought of as "prude" and "uptight," whereas 50 years ago, it would have been the harlequins and streetwalkers that would be getting the sharp looks and poignant descriptions.


What has our society come to?


I'm all for evolution of thought and forward-thinking and progress, but can't we do all those things and still keep our moral obligations to not only ourselves, but to others? If my grandmother would have been sitting in the movie theater watching this naked butt with me (can I say, awkward?), she would have been appalled. In her time, when Clark Gable said, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn," she probably covered her ears. Gentlemen and Ladies just don't talk/act that way.


I don't know. All I'm saying is that we seriously need to re-evaluate what we've become when nudity doesn't even make us blink an eye anymore.

1 comment:

  1. There are people who make their living being 'butt doubles' for actors who don't want to show their own posterior. Things have gotten out of hand on so many levels. If an actor doesn't want to show their own butt that is fine but millions of people are going to think it is really the butt of...? I think actors should just stay out of those movies then. There is nothing wrong or shameful about the human form, clothed, semi-clad, or nude if it is done artistically and not just to get people to go see the movie, art or photograph.

    ReplyDelete