Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lashing Out

I know that I'm not the only person who gets upset, aggravated, frustrated, annoyed, fed up?? I didn't think so.


The one thing that gets on my nerves more than anything else is people who think everyday is the best day of their life. Seriously, folks? There's not one day you just want to haul off and punch someone? Cry? Lash out? Get mad and talk about it? Confront someone? Scream at the top of your lungs? Mope?


See, my point of view is this: I bottled so much emotion up for so long my entire life that I know what it does to people. It eats away at your soul, either making you 1) a zombie set on auto-play, or 2) someone who doesn't know who they truly are. Life is waiting, staring you in the face, and you can't do anything because you're immobilized by these emotions and feelings you've kept inside for so long.


How can you ever truly understand who you are unless you understand who you can't be? I've learned a whole heck of a lot about myself lately. Some things I love; some things I hate; some things I'm still working on. But I refuse to keep quite anymore. I'm not hiding behind a wall, self-erected might I add, and saying, "It's ok. I'm just back here, hanging out... feel free to walk all over me." It's not healthy.


I know people of all ages and walks in life who still don't know who they really are. They are either in jobs or positions where it's their duty to show only "good" emotion, where they have to hide who they really are. I know people who only know how to let out the bad and can't see the good in anything. Kids, teenagers, adults, older folks who are all walking around with their heads you-know-where because they either think life is sunny and happy all the time, or they think everyone is out to get them.


Where's the balance?


Life isn't sunny and happy all the time. But that's okay. It's through the bad times we discover ourselves. We find out what we can handle, how much we can take, how we react, and how to bounce back. You never see the bad times in a photo album, but the bad times are what gets us from one happy photograph to the next, right? I totally quoted that from a movie, by the way... but it's so true. We may not choose to photograph the bad times, but our painful experiences and memories make the good times that much better. You can only know who you are in your best times if you let yourself experience the bad.


On the other hand, there's no need to not be able to see the bright side of a situation. People who walk around with a dark cloud over their heads all the time are in the same situation. If you only choose to see the bad in life, you end up missing out on the good... the happy photographs. The ability to see a silver lining is an exceptional trait to possess.


HOWEVER.


What I'm trying to say, I guess, is this. Don't diminish the bad in your life. Take it. Figure out what the hell is going on, and deal with it. It's alright be have bad days. It's alright to let things get to you. How will you ever know how strong you are unless you know how weak you can let yourself be? Not everyday is fantastic, terrific, great, amazing, or outstanding. Take the good. Take the bad. Find a balance. Live life-- the ups AND the downs. You may find out you're someone completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment